Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hotel Urban Legend

We've definately have some cooler weather here in Oklahoma. Not freezing cold, but a bit chilly. Not what we've been used to. It is refreshing!

There is a horse show this weekend. I think I'll take Wee One and go. One of my friends is showing her horse in Western Pleasure, Halter, and Hunter under Saddle. When I spoke with her at the beginning of the week she hinted about needing some grooming help because she was showing all alone this weekend. Hubby has to work 4 hours on Saturday and I declined to assist him since that would include minding Wee One while we were out in the middle of no-where checking leadlines. Umm, no thanks! I'd rather make an hour and a half road trip and gaze at some equine beauties while catching up with my friend. Wee One is usually behaved in his car seat...usually...

In honor of Halloween, I am posting an Urban Legend story.........it'll make you check under your bed the next time you check into a Hotel.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Urban Legend: A couple check into a remote hotel and smell a strange, rotting smell coming from the bed. After complaining to the desk clerk, they discover that a dead body has been stashed in the box springs. Unfortunately, this tale has true roots.

The Story:
Most of these stories take place at a Las Vegas, Nevada hotel either in the city or in the desert in a remote location. They have been around since the early 1990s. There have been cases like this actually happen around the country. Under the bed or in the pedestal for a mattress makes a great quick hiding place for a dead body that needs to be stashed out of the way. In each case, it wasn't until the smell brought attention to the body, that it was discovered.

Some Examples:
On June 10th 1999, the rapidly decomposing body of a 64yo man was discovered inside the bed in Room 112 at the Burgundy Motor Inn in Atlantic City, New Jersey. A German couple on vacation had spent the night sleeping over the man's remains and had put up with a rank smell all night. It was their complaint to the manager about the smell which led to the discovery of the corpse.

In July of 1996, a woman's body was found under a mattress in the Colorado Boulevard Travelodge in Pasadena, CA. The motel's staff discovered her 10days after her death after a guest had complained for several days of a foul odor coming from that room.

In Virginia in 1989, a man, disposed of the remains of his 2 murder victims this way: the first was a 27yo woman, who was discovered in May under the floor of a motel room on Route 1, the second was a 29yo woman, who turned up in June under a bed in the Alexandria Econo Lodge. In the first case, the killer first kept her body partially hidden under his bed for 2 days, then subsequently placed it in the crawl space under the carpeted floor. Her presence seemingly didn't bother him, because he didn't move out of that room until 3 or 4 weeks later. Both girls' bodies were eventually found after other guests complained about the stink.

Sick f*cker! I say this because, when I was 10 yo I found a 5 day old decomposing body of a 17yo girl who has been murdered while mushroom picking with some of my family, that smell is the worse ungodly thing you can imagine. Once you smell it, you never, ever forget it, it is burned into your memory and senses forever.

In Mineola, New York, motel in 1988, a body turned up in a box spring. The remains of a 29yo woman were found at the Oceanside Motel. Again, the body was discovered days later and only after other patrons complained about the smell. At least 2 other guests unknowingly co-habited with the body before it was found, and at least 1 guest refused to stay in that room because of the smell.

This legend was used in the 1995 Quentin Tarantino film "Four Rooms"

P.S. I'll write about the murdered girl I found when I was 10 yo. I am a spur of the moment type writer and its hard for me to 'plan' post. I just type whatever comes at me when I have time to blog.....soon, I promise Ill tell ya about 'The Dead Girl"

10 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

How horrble an event for you. I must hear more.
I too, never plan my posts. I might think, I'm going to blog that, but time and energy have their way with me.
Thanks for the hot chocolate and sunshine.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow! How awful for you to have found a dead girl.. That would surely give me nightmares for the rest of my life if I had found such.

Now i never want to check into a hotel.... I guess I am never leaving my home. :)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

I could never recover from something like that . I dont' like being aruond dead bodies I want even go to a Fenaral Home willing my family always has to dreag me because I refuss to do on my own.

Ps I will post something about that sometime today when I get the time.

1:31 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

hope-your welcome for the sunshine :) its kinda bright here today. I am happy to share.

bri-lol, you need to get Diane to be your..er..um..secretary. Im glad your better :) 3 days off, dont get into trouble, or dont get caught (wink)

mysti-I guess I was a strong kid....it did scare me a bit but not enough to make me scared of life or the great outdoors

hope-dead bodies do not really bother me. I think it is in how a person is raised.

1:52 PM  
Blogger FelineFrisky said...

Oh, my! Such an awful thing! Under the mattress?? and your story about the dead girl, wow. Isn't is strange how Halloween brings all these stories to light? I'd never heard of any of these. Then again, back then - the news wasn't high on my list.

Have fun with TT at the horse show. D :}

2:05 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Wow..I know what you mean about that smell. I've not found human bodies but have come across rotting animals in the woods and the hair always comes up at the back my neck before I smell it then..BAM I'm hit with the scent.*shudder*
But at the same time I'm fascinated by dead things...weird I know,lol

If I was going to dump a body I wouldn't chose a hotel room to do it in,lol but geesh according these stories it could buy you some time;p

4:08 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Hey I know what you mean about not' dumping a body at the motel. I would put it somewhere that it would never bee found If I was a killer.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Meow Meow said...

I can't explain it, I have never been much of a halloween fan...not even as a kid. Growing up in New Orleans MArdi Gras was always a better occassion to get dressed up...

Hope the horse show is a relaxing get-out-and-see kinda day for you.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Sweet and Salty said...

BG, are you TRYING to kill us in suspense??? You found a dead girl when you were 10 years old and you're just going to make us wait?
Be nice!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BG..first of all have a great time at the Horse show.as for the rest, having spent the better part of my career in the Hotel business..it is all too true, and the things that we find, see, hear, and yes smell are truley unforgetable and unbelieveable even if we are looking right at it. I still never cease to be amazed at what poeple do...take care..m

p.s. sometime I'll tell you about the room where we found all the blood from a body, just no body..now that was a mess..

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home