Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The House

I could not get a decent picture of the house. This was the only one I took. There was a man in the front yard unloading wood out of a truck and cars everywhere. Junk cars, it looked like to me. I was suprised at how rundown the place was. There was junk and trash everywhere.

I removed the picture of the house , you'll see why in the comments section.

Too see a picture of the house go here:house

This is the West side of the house. Both bedrooms are on this end. The bathroom as well. The windows in the picture are the bedroom windows. The closest windows are to the room that was my bedroom. This porch faces South. Part of the porch's door can be seen (it also has another door, the one I talked about later in this post), this door leads into a living room.There is a cellar in the far left. The place has 3 cellars. The tree on the right is one of the big cedars.

Best friend L . and I could not believe our good fortune to have snagged a great house, small barn, and garage when we first moved to Oklahoma. It was recently bought then rented out. We were the 2nd people to have ever rented the place. The house was at the end of the long dirt driveway, it could not be seen from the highway. It was surrounded by huge, old cedar trees. It was built by a wealthy Osage man back in the 1940's. It had been kept up and was in great shape.

When best friend L. and I first looked at it. We both liked it but at the same time, felt a creepy feeling. When the owner went outside to give a chance to check the place out alone, we both agreed it had a weird feeling. It was what we needed.....we would deal with all the negativities later.

We got ourselves moved in, horses and hounds all settled. Best friend L.'s coon dog Pepper stayed inside, but at our 'new' house, she preferred to sleep outside with the other dogs. She rarely wanted to come indoors anymore. We decided she didnt like our 3rd roommate the 'ghost'.

We had a king size bed and a twin bed. We set up the big bed in best friend L.'s room. We put the twin bed in my bedroom. It was early winter when we had moved and to save on heating, we only lit the furnace in best friend L.'s bedroom because it was near the bathroom. Propane was a big cost on our single girls budget. Since we had slept in the same bed millions of times growing up, we did not think anything of sleeping in the king size bed at the same time. Much to some of our 'new' male friend's disappointment, we were not lesbians or bisexual. What is it with guys thinking that way anyhow?

We dismissed people's comments about our house being haunted and such. As a Native American, I believe there are Earthbound Spirits but I was skeptical of 'haunted houses'. Sometimes people tend to exaggerate about stuff like that, so I took other people's statements with a grain of salt.

We had only been living there for about 3-4 days when we came home from work one sunny afternoon and our friend Bobby was sitting in the driveway. He said when he pulled up, he swore he saw someone walking around inside and thought one of us was home playing a trick on him or just hiding out. When he knocked, Bobby said he heard someone walking, he thought. We were suprised as he was. So, we all went inside together. The house was locked and no one was inside. We just laughed and told Bobby to lay off the wacky tobacco. This was not the first time our friends reported coming by daytime OR nighttime and saw 'someone' inside our house, only to realize we werent home and no one was inside. This happened to hubby once. I told him it was probably his headlights making a shadow, he disagreed.

Often best friend L. and I would hear dishes and silverware clanking in the kitchen, similar to people eating. The first couple of times we heard this, we snuck out of bed thinking we were going to catch an intruder raiding our kitchen, only to flip on the light and see nothing. We just shrugged and told our 'ghost' to keep it down a bit, we had to work for a living. The dish sounds in the kitchen and the old time music playing were 2 things that happened quite regularly and they only happened at night. There were a lot of cold spots but that could have been from the house being old or drafts from outside. Batteries never stayed charged inside the house. Our coon hunting halogen lights we wore on our heads always lost their battery charge, same with our flashlights. Our smoke detector battery was always dead.

We both felt like we were not alone in the house. Best friend L. and I got used to our 'ghost'. Many times when one of us was inside the house alone and in the shower, we heard sounds coming from the other parts of the house.

We partied every minute we were not working or coon hunting or riding hell bent for leather. We used to blame the 'ghost' feeling on being drunk or on being sober or staying up too long without sleep, things like that. It was weird, whenever we had a party, which was often, someone always brought up the 'ghost' subject. At first, best friend L. and I were excited to talk about our 'ghost' and share the things we had experienced. But we soon learned our 'ghost' didnt like us discussing it with strangers. Usually after we had company or guests, the 'ghost' activity would pick up. It often retaliated by locking us out when we purposefully left a door or window open (we had 1 key and the house had 4 outside doors). It would turn on lights in the middle of the night. It would turn on the TV. It opened doors. Our TV turned on early one morning when best friend L.'s parents were visiting from N.Michigan. I was sleeping in the living room on the couch and her little brother (hes 2 years younger than us) was on air mattress on the floor near me. The 'ghost' would hide things, like a favorite hairbrush, car keys, reins or the hair-dryer. So many things happened in that house, I am only recalling maybe half of some of the experiences we had.

When The Bullrider Johnny and I were on the downhill slide of our relationship, it was a bit intense. I only lived in the house about 2 and 1/2 months while we dated. The last week Johnnie stayed at the house, before he left for another rodeo and we split up for good, he had 3 flat tires in my driveway. The air was let out of the tires, no damage. It was a different tire each time. One time Johnny set his copenhagen on my nightstand and the next morning it was gone. I found it about 3 months later on a top shelf in my closet. My closet door never stayed shut. It was a walk-in, cedar lined and the door latch never stuck when it was closed.

Once, we had a local handyman come out to set up a new waterbed. He was an Osage man in his middle 30's, very nice and polite, he came well recommended from the furniture store. He got busy working my bedroom but he kept coming out of the double doors that lead to my bedroom and looking around. Best friend L. and I were standing around in the kitchen with friends killing time. We were drinking a few beers before leaving to go to a roping. The handyman fussed around for about 10 minutes. I had asked him earlier what was wrong the first time he came out of the bedroom, thinking he needed a hand, he just said, "nothing." Eventually, the handyman came into the kitchen and said,"he couldnt work, there were spirits in the house and he was not welcome." Then he went outside and left. It was like something out of the Twilight Zone, I am not joking. We all stood there speechless. I believed him, I could tell he was serious and telling the truth. One of those friends present that day is my best guy friend D. He still mentions how spooky the house was and the day the handyman was there. A little over a year after that happened, best friend L. and I were at the (Osage)Dances in Hominy OK (we had since moved into our own houses) we ran into the Handyman who was dancing at the ceremonies. He told us how the house was filled with spirits and that he was overwhelmed by the intensity of them that day. He said the feeling was so strong it made him physically ill for a whole day. Best friend L. and I both told him, "we believe you." We did.

Best friend L.'s asshole boyfriend (Ill call him ABF) was dropped off at our house one night when we were working late. He had been gone off on some job and had the people he was working with drop him off at our house instead of taking him out to his parents place where he stayed in their bunkhouse and had his truck parked. I remember this well because it was one of the rare times he actually worked. As we pulled into our driveway coming home from work, I almost drove over ABF who was trotting down our driveway in the dark, half dressed, carrying his gear. He was all wild eyed and I thought to myself "lookee whos been on a big time drinking/drugging bender." No, I never gave ABF the benefit of any doubt. I never trusted him or ever liked him or believed a word that came out of his mouth. I just tolerated him because of best friend L. Anyhow, ABF jumped into my car and started telling us how he got into town, went by Sonic Drive Inn and got himself some dinner because he knew we wouldnt have any food. His co-worker dropped him off, he tried the side porch door we usually left unlocked (it appeared to be locked if it was tried by someone unfamiliar, it had a secret way to open it) he let himself in the house, ate, then took a shower. He heard someone call his name when he was in the shower. He said he got out of the shower 2X and checked to see if we were home. ABF said he was spooked but thought it was not any big deal. After his shower, he turned on the TV and laid down on the couch and fell asleep. He woke up because he heard his name again. He said he laid there for a few minutes trying to hear it again. Not hearing anything he sat up and looked towards the back of the house near the bathroom because something got his attention. He saw the hallway light was on, he never turned it on, it was off when he got out of the shower. Then, as he was sitting up thinking about hightailing it out of there, a small breeze of cold air blew by him. This was too much for ABF, he was scared and was not staying there. He took off walking (more like running). We went to the house after hearing his story, the hallway light was off and nothing seemed odd. ABF swore the hallway light was on when he left our house in his big hurry. ABF wanted me to drive him out to his parents house that night, I refused. I was late for a date, I was meeting hubby at the local bar. Best friend L. stayed home with ABF and they slept with the lights on that night. Too bad the 'ghost' didnt keep ABF away permanently......

Best friend L. and I never felt like we were threatened or in danger, except that one time....

We had lived in the house for about 7 or 8 months. I was seeing hubby and he refused to spend the night alone in my house, he disliked staying there even with me. The house creeped him out. Nothing really ever happened to hubby except seeing someone inside the house when no one was home. He heard the kitchen dishes and music plenty of times. Hubby was gone working for a few days with his Uncle the weekend the 'scary' incident took place. ABF was on the outs with best friend L. We had worked all weekend, long shifts, we needed the money and also a break from our hard partying schedule. We got home from work, it was late, after 11 pm (we worked in B-ville). We were dead, dog tired. We both got into our pajamas and crashed for a good sleep in best friend L.s kingsize bed. I went to sleep right away. Best friend L. woke me up. She was whispering to me. She said she heard someone almost yelling behind the double glass doors that led from her room to the hallway that led to the laundry room and back door. The bathroom was to the immediate left of those doors. It was a dark night but the yard light shown thru the windows so we could see. Then something hollered again but it sounded more like a loud growl, very hard to describe. She asked me if I had heard that. Yep, I sure did and it scared me, my heart was in my throat. We both were laying there under our covers wondering why the dogs were NOT barking. We heard the loud sound again. The dogs always barked when someone or some animal came around. I told her, lets look and see. But first, our guns were in her closet, and the light switch was right next to the closet door. She said she'd flip the switch while I grabbed a shotgun. We'd run at the same time. We thought maybe someone was breaking in or messing around. Our hearts were pounding. As we were counting down to make our run for the closet, the double doors swung with such force, they hit off the walls and broke one small glass window in the doors. At the same time, something blocked out the yard light shining in, then it moved and we both saw a pair of legs and nothing else, just blackness. We both hollered and ran into the closet, slammed the door, and turned on the closet light. I grabbed the loaded 12 gauge. After a couple of terrified minutes, we ventured out and turned on the bedroom light. No one was there. Nothing. All the doors were still dead-bolted from the inside and locked. No windows were open to blow the doors against the walls, even if it was windy that night and a window was open, those doors were hard to push open because they would drag on the plush carpet. We were totally freaked out. We left and spent the night at Bobbys house. When we returned the next day, the inside of the house felt heavy, very stuffy.

That was the only time either one of us was terrified of something inside the house. We tried debunking the glass doors swinging open a hundred times, we could not nor could anyone else. Our 'ghost' went from being no big deal to something awful. When hubby heard what happened, he said " Y'all need to move." This incident threw me for a loop. I wanted to know what the big black shape was and who's legs we saw. Were they legs? I kept asking myself. I know best friend L. and I saw the same thing. That was one time I remember the cold, hard feeling of absolute terror taking over my entire body. Neither one of us ever stayed alone in the house at night after that. The 'ghost' activity slowed a bit except for the music and the kitchen dishes. Maybe those sounds were 'imprints' and had nothing to do with the 'ghost'.

I think it would be easier for me to accept if it had been a psycho, escaped, mental patient killer that was after us instead of something I cannot explain.......

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BG..oh my, now I am totally creeped out..bright sunny day here, but I gotta tell you , I keep looking over my shoulder as I got more and more into the story, like someone was reading over my shoulder..creepy!!!Great story. BTW thanks for the support, I do appreciate it so much...take care..m

10:03 AM  
Blogger i used to be me said...

I don't get creeped out too easily...good thing comsidering how much time I spend alone, but this creeped me out bigtime. I don't think I could have gone back in that house long enough to even move my stuff out! I've never really had anything like this happen to me but my husband could tell you some stories.

Brian, psychic?

11:50 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

BG, I'm with Brian, I would delete the picture. Just a feeling, but a damn strong one. Shit this creeped me out! I'm sitting in my nice, warm house and I have cold chills. I'm glad you only saw the black thing once, it's not a cool thing to encounter. HUGS!

12:19 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

madd-maybe its your spirit guide standing over your shoulder :)

brian-I felt odd when I uploaded the picture too. When I saw the house yesterday, I got that 'same' feeling but not in a bad way. More of a sad feeling. I am sure whatever it is, it is stuck at the house. It cannot or will not leave that house. I wish when I lived there I would have told it to go to the other side.

unackowledgedgenius-we were a bit skittish returning. That was the only time I was ever seriously SCARED.

pinky-seeing the black 'thing' once was enough to last me a lifetime! Ill move the picture incase someone wants to see it.

12:59 PM  
Blogger FelineFrisky said...

Ooooo! Creepy! and the picture - brrrrr! D :}

1:30 PM  
Blogger Slackermommy said...

That's creepy! When I was a kid we lived in a house that had similar Poltergeist type things. Lights turning off and on, things getting lost, pipes cracked and flooded the basement on Christmas two years in a row. Funny how we live with things like that but looking back it's really creepy. You should enter this post in the Crazy Hip Momma's Carnival of scary stories. Sorry about scaring you yesterday but now you've repaid the favor.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must be out of touch for I looked and did not see much..I could not even find a cedar tree close..just looked like every other old house..seen better days indeed!

7:02 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

diane-I didnt get a bad feeling from the pic..

butterflychic26-lol, no your not numb :)

slackermommy-you DID give me a scare LOL, that was goooooood :)

anon-cedar tree directly to the RIGHT

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is DAMN SCARY. I'm glad you got out when you did. I have an odd question: was there any weirdness associated with the plumbing, or was there a source of running water nearby? A very 'sensitive' friend of mine told me that running water could somehow act as a conduit. Her house was pretty odd too, although nowhere near what you describe, and it was found later to have an underground stream running beneath it. Odd knocks and noises in the pipes, etc. is often found in houses with a presence (I think it's a symptom, not a cause, if I didn't make that clear). I've got some weird stories of my own too...

Just a thought: did you ever consider burning sage to cleanse the place? (Works but gah, the smoke it makes :) )

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry...so dumb I am...still I saw no evil or anything in picture, just saw a house..
Sage, that is a thought..I would surely burn the place down tho..with my luck!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Bare said...

As you know, I've had a lot of expereinece with the paranormal, and that place that was oozing with activity. I'm definitely glad to hear you got out of there. What you had was an entity, and that's nothing to fool around with!

12:26 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

doe-yes, a creek, a major one in my area, ran at the back of our property about 1/2 mile from the house. We did think about doing something (having the house blessed, burning sage, ect) but never got around to it, we just got used to it until the 'ghost' became not-so-nice.

miss1999-we lived in the house for a year and 4 months.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Oooh what a delicious story.
I'm glad nothing majorly bad happened to you two:)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

WOW - That story is a lot scarier than my ghost story! At least I never felt threatened!!!!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

I know you've moved to a new site, but I'm trying to catch up on some of the back posts I missed.

What a great post! I love the scary/hear pounding feeling I got from reading it.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home