Thursday, October 19, 2006

Jerky

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Easy Jerky recipe I use:

2 lbs deer sliced thin ( it is easier to make it in 2lbs at a time )
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp whole black pepper
3 large dashes liquid smoke sometimes I substitute liquid smoke w/ honey for a different flavor

Combine all of the ingrediants, marinate strips overnight in refrigerator (I like to use the quart size plastic baggies to marinate the meat in). Bake in the oven at 150ยบ until dry or put in dehydrator until the meat will snap went bent. Ive cooked it both ways. Its tastes great either way.

Deer jerky has a short life around here. I make as much as I can. This year Iam hoping we all are able fill our deer tags, that'll give us each 1 deer for sure. Wishful thinking. My hunting days are always limited because of Wee One, son #1's are limited because of school (he goes after school), hubby's because of work. Each of us may not get a chance to shoot a buck, but we will be able to each shoot a doe eventually the way Oklahoma laws go. Anyhow, I am counting on 3 deer to be tagged from all of us this Fall, I better get atleast 3 deer.....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wee One at the Homecoming parade last Friday(wearing his favorite shirt, its almost threadbare). He has chocolate on his face.

I took a good one of son #1 riding on their float with his face painted up but he said I did not have his permission to 'put it all over the internet for just anyone to look at'. A while back he said I had to get his permission to post any pictures of him. He said one day he might be famous and doesnt want to be embarassed.

I must continue to respect his wishes, even tho I want to say 'I am your mother, Ill do as I please' but that wouldnt be a very good example.......

Ha! like I am a good example setter. Now, that is too funny.

*********************

School is out for Fall Break. It is going to be chilly today but I am still going to try to get a short ride in. Son #1 already said he'd keep an eye on Wee One when he is napping, of course it will cost me. Like the saying goes or something like that.... " Nothing is ever free."

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BG..love your take on things..lol wee one is so cute what a smile..full of it of course..I do hope you get all the venison your wishing for..I probable never had it prepared right, couldn't quite get the taste of it..I love rabbit, pheasant, partridge and of course..stuffed quahogs..Cape Cod..spent half my life there..smaller game..:)
I posted something I think you will appreciate, a loving tribute from a Mother to her son she lost in Iraq..check it out when you have time..tkae care..m

9:36 AM  
Blogger RedNeckGirl said...

I don't usually eat deer but I've had deer jerky and it was really good.

I loooooove what your son #1 said that is priceless....he sounds like me when I was young!

10:23 AM  
Blogger i used to be me said...

Fall break already! Where does time go?

10:42 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Cute cute pic of the baby.

Well, now I know...jerky doesn't grow on trees...it grows on deer.

10:42 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

butterflychis26-those weenie dogs like to be buried under all the covers, dont they?

bri-AOL charges me outrageous prices, then their service is starting to really suck, I may be switching providers! I hope diane is okay soon w/out having a hospital stay.

madd-Cape Cod? Ive ALWAYS wanted to visit there..sigh maybe one day. Great post you had by the way :)

redneckgirl-deer jerky is yummy stuff!

unacknowledgedgenius-I hear ya! it seems like it was just 4thof July!!

swampwitch-lol, yep..it grows on deer, the venison kind that is. Its a lot healthier too :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Oh your son is too funny. It sounds like what my number one son would say. Lmbo.. Maybe there is something about number one sons! The jerky meat sounds yummy. I am saving that recipe. Thanks for sharing. Have fun on your ride!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Bare said...

I LOVE deer jerky! But haven't gotten to have any in years- my poor daddy hasn't killed a deer in God knows how long *sighs* Maybe this will be the year he gets one! :0)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

BG: If BloggerGlobber cooperates, I will have Brian's Rainbow poem up tomorrow. I hope I have successfully linked his blog and also your post with the Double Rainbow to it. :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Meow Meow said...

Sorry no interest in the deer jerky..but I don't like the whole hunting aspect~
Especially cause most people do it for sport and not for need of food. =(

1:22 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Haha! My baby boy also gets chocolate on his face all the time, too! Messy but so darn cute. c",)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Hey I love deer meat , and I am also really hoping to get a good deer this year, but I am really hoping that I can bag the big bukc this fall. I have a really big one thats is on my place , and he is at lest a 14pount , and no I'm not' kiding about that. Last year I got really lucky I got 2 last fall ,but like you around here deer meat has a very short life. I am going to try your recipy this year.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Celeste said...

I printed the recipe too. We are allowed 10 deer here, 3 of which can be bucks. Jumped 2 deer just a bit ago out in the field.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

LOL your young man sounds like my young man!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

BG: Brian's poetry is my post today with a link to your beautiful double rainbow.
SW

5:50 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

I spoke too soon...Blogger ate my post...Will try again.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Do I get an award for having three posts in a row? OK, I have now successfully posted the post that BloggerGoober ate. You have links all over my place...it's beginning to look like a chain.
Do I have to pay a royalty for using your double rainbow photo?

7:38 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

LOL, the joy of boys.
My son, with his eye on a NHL contract, signs his name with his Jersey # incorporated.
I love when kids expect their dreams can come true, because they can.
You can save the picture and sell it to the highest tabloid bidder if the kid doesn't take care of you in your old age. Every parent has to have some kind of insurance!!
Last time I made beef jerky in a dehydrator our two cats smarmed the kitchen until i finally threw them outside.
Hope the ride was a good one.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barngoddess,

I am printing off your deer jerky recipe right now!

Pax. Kimberly

9:42 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I have a hard time killing animals. if i didn't like cheeseburgers so much, i would probably be a vegetarian. or eat only fish.

but i do love jerky. sighs. what to do!? good luck bagging the bucks. and I wonder if i could do this with other meat?

prints out the recipe.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I have a hard time killing animals. if i didn't like cheeseburgers so much, i would probably be a vegetarian. or eat only fish.

but i do love jerky. sighs. what to do!? good luck bagging the bucks. and I wonder if i could do this with other meat?

prints out the recipe.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home