Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Moon Madness

Kari over at Down & Out In Arkansas commented she was kinda cranky today like me. So, I thought I'd check the moon phase and see if a Full Moon was upon us. Nope! It is not. The last full moon was May 13th, 2006 and the next one is June 11th, 2006. So, I cant blame my crabbiness on the moon phase. Maybe its PMS, but I dont think so. Maybe I need a vacation from my family.....I bet that is the answer!

Anyhow, I have always liked the moon. It is my favorite in our solar system which has only 9 planets but it has over 137 moons. So, I thought some moon trivia would be fun.

  • The moon is 4.5 billion years old
  • It has a mass of 73'490'000'000'000'000 million kg and is egg shaped
  • It is 23,8896 miles from Earth
  • To travel around the moon would take 4 days by car. To get to the moon from earth: 130 days by car...13 hours by rocket
  • The same side of the Moon always faces the Earth
  • Due to a loss of orbital energy to gravity from the Earth, the Moon is very gradually moving away from the Earth. In the early history of the Earth, the Moon looked about 3X larger in size in the sky, because it was closer to the Earth
  • The Moon's surface is about the same now as it was 3 billion years ago. The astronauts' footprints remain unchanged on the Moon's surface
  • The moon causes many of the tides in the Earth's oceans. This is because of the gravity force between the Earth and Moon. At full Moon and new Moon, the Sun, Earth and Moon are lined up, producing the higher than normal tides (called spring tides, for the way they spring up). When the Moon is at first or last quarter, smaller neap tides form
  • The moon is not made of cheese and I have no idea what it consists of!


myspace, glitter graphics When I was a kid, I can remember at night just staring at the moon and wishing I could see a martian man or something. My cousins and I were always star-gazing and my Uncle J. knew the constellations and would show them to us. I wish I had paid better attention to them so now I would be able to show my kids. I ve shown them the big/little dippers but thats about all I remember. We have a decent working telescope that my hubby bought for son #1 a few years ago. When Venus and the last comet showers were easy to see, we got up in the middle of the night and took a look at them. It was pretty neat.

11 Comments:

Blogger Brian Kastel said...

You have a telescope... Which reminds me now of a word I left off my list: my favorite color, GREEN...

[goes off to bed to sulk]

9:47 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Hey I like the moon to ,and for me there is nothing better then saddling up my horse ,and goign for a long ride under the full moon so I don't think that you talk about the moon to much that's not' pssobull

9:58 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

briankastel-green is my favorite color too. all greens, blue is a close second and I also like black (no I am not a goth-chic either)

hope-nite riding is something I rarely get to do anymore. riding under a full moon is the best! so is coon-hunting under a full moon, the best nite-lite is nature's nite-lite : )

7:28 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

brian-oh no! I am suprised I havent messed up my blog yet, it can be so 'testy' acting sometimes! but its free so I am not complaining (tooloudly)

9:03 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

bummer huh? I love cheese all kinds of cheese YUM

11:32 AM  
Blogger Brian Kastel said...

I've never met a cheese I didn't like. :) You can't have too much cheese. LOL

My eyes are green, and I like to wear green tones because they go well. :D

However, I was green with envy about your telescope last night, but I'm over it now. hehehe...

What model do you have, BG?

Have you ever tried to find the Orion Nebula? That's one of the first things I want to lok at when I finally get one of my own.

3:25 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

briankastel-I have no idea what kind of make or model, I think hubby bought it at the Sports Authority or somewhere similar if that tells ya anything! lol, no really, its a decent one, but I just look thru it, I never touch any of the knobs and stuff. Im gren w/ envy you know where the Orion Nebula is, Iam going to ask my hubby to show it to me tonite or atleast point me in the general direction.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Brian Kastel said...

Well, for starters, it's in the constellation of Orion. :)

Knowing the location of Orion is the best way to start stargazing. It is the easiest constellation to pick out, and seeing it in the sky can help you orient yourself to look at nearby constellations. That's how I learned them.

6:10 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

briankastel-guess Id better get a constellation book, hubby isint much help,hes sleeping~

10:16 PM  
Blogger Brian Kastel said...

LOL...

Recommendation: "Practical Skywatching" It's a beautifully illustrated, high-quality hardback.

11:09 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

briankastel-how did you know I needed a book with pics? lol, only joking! Ill check it out, it may be a book I need to add to my small library : )

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home