Friday, May 19, 2006

Liquor Store Bound and My War on Spiders

WARNING: the Brown Recluse Spider Bites link is VERY graphic, so let yourself be warned......

In Oklahoma, we do not have the luxury of walking into just any kind of store and being able to purchase alcohol. Nope, we have to go to the Liquor Store, which is open mon-sat 10am-9pm. Closed on all holidays. Unless you reside in a dry county-then your just SOL. Luckily, I do not live in a dry county nor would I ever. My bottle of Quervo is dangerously low, so I need to restock another gallon. Also on my list is a bottle of good solid red wine to go with tonites dinner, maybe something local. I have some New York Strips thawing out for the grill this evening. It looks like hubby will be late tonite because he is spending the day with some EPA guys. Hubby was up at 5 am and gone by 5:30 am to drive to the southern part of Oklahoma. He actually looks forward to his EPA dealings regarding his well sites. He follows the EPA guidelines and he is is sorta-buddies with 2 of the inspectors, they share a love of Chevrolets, old and new. Ive met these 2 fellows and they seem like pretty cool guys considering thier job. Since Hubby was long gone by the time oldest son #1 needed to be shuttled up to school, it was my duty to give him a ride. Its about a 15 mile one way trip from our front door to his school. We left a little early and stopped at the Sonic Drive Inn so the boys could eat some breakfast. I didnt feel like cooking but felt guilty thinking about son #1 going to school without breakfast. We were almost to the school when son #1 says," oh, Im like .90 cents in the whole on my lunch account mom." Okay, no problem. We are lucky enough that our families income puts us in the PAY FULL price bracket when it comes to school lunches. About $175 a school year. It just depends on if son #1 eats breakfast AND lunch at school. Anyhow, I look in my wallet and I only have 1 $100 dollar bill and 3 twenties. My checkbook is at home. My son needs atleast $5 to finish out the school year, so I turn around and send him into the gas station for change. Back to the school we go and I drop him off. Son #2 (2yo) and I are about half way home and my cell phone rings, its son #1-he needs his trumpet that is inside the trunk of my car. I do an illegal U-turn and speed back to town(about 7mi). Son #1 is waiting for me outside his school doors because he knows I am in my PJ's still (t-shirt and flannel pants) and will NOT come into the school. While he's getting his trumpet out of my car, I see a bunch of people on the school grounds chasing around a brown chicken, hmmm. So, I leave the school and get back on the highway towards home when son #2 realizes his older brother 'Bubba' isint coming with us. Son #2 screamed "bubba!" repeatedly and threw french fries and french toast stix balls in protest at me the rest of the way home. No problem, when we got to the house, I just let our little weenie dog Elvis into the car and he ate like a king, better than a vacuum! When i reached inside the house, the phone was ringing which I missed by a matter of seconds, caller ID said it was the Orkin man who was sceduled to come today. I call him back and the Orkin man says, a relative of his wife's passed away and he has to drive her to MO for the funeral which is tomorrow and he cannot do my house until monday. "Great!" Im thinking, "whats one more day with ants and spiders?" Yesterday I almost broke my neck trying to snuff out a mean little brown spider on my bedroom ceiling. I was standing on the bed, broom in one hand, spider spray in the other and the spider decided to drop itself on mybed very near me. Well, you get the picture....I even broke a fingernail which made me mad because my manicure appointment isint until monday. The brown spider I killed was probably a Brown recluse spider. These nasty little spiders are all over Oklahoma. They are highly poisonous and much more populated than the Black Widow Spider. This is what a Brown Recluse Spider Bites looks like....IF YOU ARE WEAK-STOMACHED, DO NOT LOOK! So, for all of you that viewed the spider-bite photos, you understand why I am so freaked out about a little spider....

On the upside, today is friday! woohoo! and my house smells wonderful because at 7 am this morning, while I was out feeding the horses, my 2 yo poured out an entire jug of the economy sized Concentrated Downey Fabric Softerner Liquid onto the living room carpet, very near the front door. I am still occassionally scrubbing at it, its harder than heck to get out~

Today, this is my motto:




10 Comments:

Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

brian-omg! 350+lbs?!?!! THATS HUGE! Im glad it was caught, but it wont solve the problem : (

I bet you have some creep spiders in FL, funny i dont ever remember seeing them when I was vacationing there, but I do remember the little lizards in FL they were green. We have 'Mt. Boomers' here, there kinda brown and cute. I have a Mulberry tree and when it has berrys they are all over them.

11:33 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

kari-ohno!! that would be a nightmare for me, to live in a drycounty. But, the trip to the pop-shop sounds like fun! I read somewhere that the BR spider came from Ark. so you know what the nasty little buggers are about too.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

great post!, what a busy morning :-)

we have to go to the liquor store too, but they are usually open 7 days a week.

12:21 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

kyahgirl-I am a BIG customer of the beer store on the Ontario side of Sault Ste. Marie, we always stop there or in Wawa on our way to camp : )

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a spider can do that? oh, my!

2:19 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

cowgirl-yeah yeah rub it in! it was that way when I lived in MI too..the bars are open here on Sunday-On Fed Indian Land that is...if one is brave enough.....

4:04 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

I've seen a few of those bites since being in the Army. They're hard to manage for sure. Have a good Friday.

5:21 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

jake-those spiders creep me out! they can really do major damage. I know an elderly Pawnee woman who lost her left foot from a brown recluse spider bite (also known as fiddlebacks)....she was sick with it for over 2 years : (

5:48 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

jake-those spiders creep me out! they can really do major damage. I know an elderly Pawnee woman who lost her left foot from a brown recluse spider bite (also known as fiddlebacks)....she was sick with it for over 2 years : (

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Triple play anal beads http://www.cheaplaptops9.info/Zithromax.html Acuvue free trial com Man gets breast implants Answering funny machine sound

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home