Friday, May 05, 2006

Betty Page


For those who understand who Betty Page was, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, maybe no explanation is possible. Because Betty Page was and remains an underground icon. In the 1950's she was the pin-up girl. I am a fan of her pics, not the nudies, but the others. Page's pictures are tasteful and interesting without the cheap, sleazy veneer pin-ups nowadays have. But, that is my opinion only, others may not agree. I hadnt heard of Page until I dated bullrider Johnnie and seeing him the end of last month reminded me that I had not relocated my Betty Page pics to my new puter (not new anymore, over 1 year old!).

She (Betty Page) was PLAYBOY'S Miss January of 1955. Hugh Hefner says Betty's appearance in PLAYBOY was a milestone, and that "she became, in time, an American icon, her winning smile and effervescent personality apparent in every pose. A kinky connection was added by Irving Klaw's spanking, fetish and bondage photos, which became part of the Bettie Page mystique; they were playful parodies that are now perceived as the early inspiration for Madonna's excursions into the realm of sexual perversion." Always nice to hear from geriatric old perverted Hefner-I'm kidding...

Taken from her bio:
Betty Page grew up poor, in Nashville, Tennessee. Her mother didn't want her. Her father molested her. She was an exceptional student. She was raised in the Church. The girl with the trademarked black bangs, fabulous killer curves, and sweet smile, grew up loving movies, and dreamed of a film career. She should have been the next Marilyn Monroe. But her story is an impossible incursion of near misses, bad luck and lost opportunities. Full of contradictions, some have called her "The Dark Angel," for good reason, and for more reasons than one. Betty Page's puzzling persona both attracts us and repels us at the same time. In New York she drifted innocently into modeling, posing for camera clubs. That beautiful smile "suggested forbidden fruit as well as apple pie," said PLAYBOY. The charm, the appeal, the danger, the allure of those sensational photos is beyond what words can convey.

Betty Page mysteriously disappeared from the public, admist a scandal and rumors. She had become a mystery until 11 years ago the truth was revealed. While battling fierce inner demons, Page had quietly and secretly left NYC and given her life to Jesus Christ. And, all this time Page was completely in the dark to her own huge impact upon America's sexuality and pop culture, not to mention the thriving industry that had arisen around her celebrated image.

Click here for Betty Page photos:
http://hometown.aol.com/barngoddess65/bettiepage.html

7 Comments:

Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

Rude1-you suprised me when you commented on my bullrider post and you KNEW who Betty Page was.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. She was before my time, but I know who Bettie is. My wife likes her photographs too.

8:16 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

glad you liked them, Ill post more again someday!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have taste. When I was enlisted and overseas in the 60's, this ladie's pictures were popluar with all of us. She was the 'one'. It is not suprising she is popluar today, but suprising other women are in her following. You have excellent taste. I will be waiting for more with bated breathes.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Rude1 said...

Just a quick not; of course I know who she was! She will always be my first infatuation! Thanks for the post and pics. I PROMISE I'll post soon, but I'm only able to get access from a local cyber cafe. sigh

Talk to you soon!

11:52 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

I am so glad you stopped by! Ive been missing you,along with cowgirl and the bunch, take care
: )

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! vw ac parts Voip service provideers Colorado denver hotel lion red

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home