Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Sweetie

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting My sweetie before I gave him his new hair cut awhile back. It is growing so fast, I guess older horse's hair grows faster, or at least my horse. Ive noticed as horses age they get hairier. Is hairier a word? I do not think so. Anyhow, you know what I mean. When winter rolls around the old guy looks like an overgrown shetland. His mane requires a serious pulling and taming in a spot or two. Scooters face does not yet have the telltale white/gray hair,or anywhere else on his body either. He is still the deep, rich Bay he has been all of his life. But in the last 2 years, Ive notice his eyes arent as clear, he is getting a cataract in his left eye but seems to see quite well despite the affliction. Our vet said it wasnt too bad yet, meaning it is in the beginning stages. His hearing is still quick and he does not stumble like older horses sometimes do. Scooter's arthritis is managable, with the feed and supplements that we have available these days, he is rarely sore or noticably lame. I do not ride him hard, but keep him excerised. I know his limits better than he does, he will keep on going without tiring. He can still pivet, rollback, slide to a stop on his hindquarters, and break out of the gate at a leap like horses 1/4 his age. He is still extremely fast and full of cowsense. He is the second fastest horse Ive owned ( I owned a son of Go Man Go who was fast, I mean extremely FAST), and Scooter ranks 4th on the fastest horse Ive ever rode list. While waiting our turn in the gate, he'll stand half dozing, or looking aloof and relaxed, the only anticipation seen is his mouth working the bit at a steady pace. Once inside the box, he backs in, works the bit quicker, while settling down on his hindquarters with all four hooves on the ground for the leap out of the gate when the steer or calf is turned out of the chute. He doesnt rear or throw his head or dance around like some bad mannered roping horses, but he does quiver all over his entire body, and as his rider I can feel every muscle just humming. Its a pretty cool feeling to have that power and speed underneath you. When out of the box, he is watching the steer/calf as closely as I am. I am not a great roper or even a good roper, so not having to mind my horse allows me to be half way accurate when throwing a loop. He makes me look good. Once that loop is thrown and hits its mark, he slides to a standstill stop to keep the rope tight, never a slack rope with the old guy. He is the only horse I can dismount at a sliding stop, maybe because he is so close to the ground or he is so smooth.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
He is 14.3 and as you can see, built like a tank. I snapped this picture last nite while he was standing in his 'corner' seperated from the other horses waiting for his feed. Scooter and I have a connection. In the world of horses and humans, he is my soul mate. Once in a lifetime does a horse and owner develop a relationship like he and I have. The only people who can understand this are the one's who have experienced it for themselves. My husband laughs and says that we can read eachother's minds, maybe...It is nice to be greeted with a whinny everytime he sees me or to be able to catch him anywhere in any possible situation imaginable. He gives me unconditional love, companionship, peace, and simple happiness. In turn, I take care of him as well as one of my own children, give him unconditional love, and make sure he is as safe, healthy, and happy as I can make it for him. Who said dogs were man's best friend?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My old guy is grandson to TWOEYEDJACK and great-grandson of Sugar Bars. If you are familiar with those 2 important AQHA horses, then you know my horse is well-bred. His sire is Baron Bell and his dam is Jack's Magnolia. Scooter was bred by the well-known AHQA member Howard Pitzer of PitzerRanch Nebraska fame. I could ramble on in a whole book about my horse so I'll save some for another day. Lucky you guys!
______________________________________________________

Last nite, hubby got hung up at a lease having problems with some machinery or such, I am not mechanically inclined, all that stuff is foreign to me. He happened to stop and check it because it was on his way home from Tulsa. Anyhow, he called me and asked me and wee one to drive out to where he was working and bring him his dinner. I figured I had better if I wanted to spend some time in the daylight with him. So Toddler Terror and I packed a small picinic basket with cajun chicken breasts, sweet corn, spray on butter, and fresh green beans with a half gallon of homemade sweet tea. The we drove out to the G. Lease then onto wellhead #8.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I took this picture while out delivering dinner. These are not hubby's but Ive always been partial to the Red, White, and Blue. There is an American Flag proudly displayed at thier tank battery.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hubby gave wee one and I his fishing pole to catch a few fish while he was eating but when we reached the pond, I saw 2 baby cottonmouths and another BIG snake (unknown because it was half in the weeds) so I decided against THAT idea. I can live without a snake bite!

9 Comments:

Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

aniin bri!my horses are friendly sorts, especially if you have food!

"That linked minds, are like quantum pairs, that they react at the same time, no matter how far apart."
That about sums it up, its hard to describe I can ride many horses, do many things on thier backs, teach them or 'fix' them but it is not like the old guy and I. weird!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW this is my alias over at CentralSnark.

1:38 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

kari-my pleasure with the horse stories! us horse lovers need to stick together....

I guess its kinda like my kids, I cant say enough about the old guy. He was foaled in May'80 so he is 26 yo, for some reason I thought he was 27yo even tho I know he was foaled in '80! I thought today was friday too so that says a lot! Cousin L.'s old horse turned 27 this year, for some reason that # stuck inside my chaotic brain.

A mustang! that is neat, I have rode a lot of different horses but never a mustang! maybe I did and didnt know it. I love Mustangs.

The only 2 BAD closecalls Ive ever had were with cottonmouths, I hate them. I believe you were chased. we had one try to get us when we were fishing once and we were in a BOAT!! I bet you swam 90mpg-how scary!! atleast a rattler will warn ya, not a cottonmouth.....or a copperhead.

1:58 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

bri-he had the name Scooter when I bought him a LONG time ago, he knows it so I didnt change it. I suppose he was named that because of his shortness, 14.3 which is not a real tall horse, perfect size to me and many other riders too prefer that size, and he is fast in tight spots.

The ONE time you rode A horse, brian you need to ride another horse now...dont they have them in FL? you have lots of snakes in Fl you ever get them close to home?

2:05 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

bri-If you dont feel the pull, then its not there, you'd know it for sure! I hate bike riding, didnt mind so much when I was a kid, but after I got a drivers license at 16 the BIKE was parked FOREVER, some people like biking...more power to them, its not for me.

leave the snakes in the swamp, especially the poisonous ones!

2:53 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

cowgirl-sorry about losing your mare :(

no need to shut up, I love talking horses. I would love to have a horse by Bugs Alive in 75!

The fastest horse I rode was Three Bars bred appendix best friend L owned, he was fast in a sprint and he was fast around the track.

Good luck horse shopping! that is one of my favorite things to do!

8:08 PM  
Blogger i used to be me said...

I don't know much about horses and I am unsure of myself around them. My sister and her husband have horses in Kansas and she's always asking me to ride but I'm sort of scared to do it. I like going with her to see the horses though, I love looking at them and watching them, and watching my sister with them.

Your old guy is a beauty.

8:13 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

unackowledgedgenius-maybe your just unsure around horses because you havent been around them much.

You should ride with your sister, at least once, to make her happy and to see how you like it.

Thnx for the compliment on the old guy, he is handsome and quite a character, I think maybe sometimes he is confused and thinks he is a dog instead of a horse!

10:29 AM  
Blogger i used to be me said...

I think the reason I'm apprehensive is because my sister's horse got spooked once and took off with her. She thought she was going to have to bail when he got close to the highway and acted like he was going to run out into traffic but he veered off before he got there and she got him settled. I wouldn't know how to react if that happened to inexperienced me. Next time I'm home I'll tell her I'll ride.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home