Monday, March 20, 2006

If Wishes Were Horses.....or......Horses were Wishes.....

My dream horse costs as much as my car. But, I really really would love to
have a Friesian horse. They are spectacular horses. One cold February day about 6 or 7 years ago, L. and I were in Wichita for the Equifest at the Coliseum. This is where I first laid eyes on these magnificant beasts and fell in love with the breed. These horses have a gentle temperment that is as lovely as thier physical beauty.
________________________________________________________

The Friesian Government (Netherlands) has made many regulations in order to safeguard good breeding. During the last two centuries it has been bred pure This breed of horse dates back centuries to medieval times.

The name of the Friesian breed originates from “Friesland” (“Fryslan” in the Friesian language), one of the eleven provinces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, situated in the northwest of Europe. History's date it back to 500 B.C. The Friesian horse was first imported to North America in the seventeenth century but the breed was totally lost in North America due to crossbreeding. The Friesian was not brought back into North America until 1974. There are about 31,000 Friesians registered worldwide in the Dutch Friesch Paarden Stamboek. Approximately only 2,000 of those horses are in North America.

Friesians are used for all types of disciplines. From a great companion family horse for trail rides to eventing, dressage, and harness. I have noticed that these horses are stunning under any kind of saddle. They look great in western saddle (my pref) and elegant under a dressage or english leathers. Friesians appear as collected frolicking in a pasture as they do under a saddle and in a bit. This is my favorite way to view them!
________________________________________________________

Last fall, sometime around Thanksgiving I think, I explained to my better half (the one who makes all the $$) my desire to purchase a Friesian. He had three questions:
1. what about your horse? he'll be SO JEALOUS, you cant replace him!
2. do they finance? surely they do, its a $25,000 horse!
3. when do you start your new job to pay for your new horse? dont forget to find and pay a babysitter!

Of course I would never replace my old guy, he is a horse I will never sell. He is my baby. But, he is going to be 27 in about 1 month. He is in super health and looks great. The old guy's arthritis is managable but we still keep even our trail rides an easy go for him. I would like to get another trail horse soon, just to trail ride, no roping or showing. It takes awhile to find that 'certain special' horse that you can easily make a connection with. And another thing, I would like something different than an Quarter Horse, a horse a bit unusual, especially where I live in AQHA country..................
_________________________________________________________

http://www.blacksterlingfriesians.com/home.htm