Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Best Advice

The best advice ever given to me about horses was from an old cowboy. He never disclosed his real age, but in my early twenties when I met him, he had to be every bit of 70 years old. This old cowboy did the only thing he ever knew, horses and cattle. His weathered skin showed years of ranch work. His face, always expressionless, unless you looked him square in the eyes, his eyes were full of emotions. They showed exactly what his soul felt at that moment. He once told me, to get the results from a horse that I want, I must think like a horse, I must earn the horse's trust BEFORE any training technique is tried. I think he was the founder of 'natural horsemanship' or at least an early pioneer of the theory. He passed away last night. He left this world on his terms, from his own home, surrounded by the things he loved, his dogs and his horses.

Some good things:
Handling skills (good ones) are very much a part of bonding with a horse. Stroking, rubbing, scratching the horse all over, will help him/her bond to you. Thus making the horse more willing to do what you are asking them to do. When the horse gets comfortable, relaxed in your company, he/she will learn to trust you. Always be patient and end any training session/workout or anyday in general on a good note. If your horse isint responding to what you are asking, ask him/her to do something very familiar, end the day on that good thing. Tomorrow is always another day. My own horse I can catch anywhere, anytime. This is because we are bonded strongly and also the fact that when I do catch him, it isint all about work. I usually have a small treat for him, making him come willingly to me at all times (he LOVES to eat). Sometimes, when I catch him in the pasture, it is just for a good brushing, feeding, grooming, or because I want to hang out with him. Remember-it is not all about work or accomplishing some task. Enjoy your horse!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home