Thursday, April 27, 2006

Much Better



We finished up about 11:20 am and I was home by 11:45. Not bad for a half days work. Even if I got suckered into riding the greenest horse on the ranch. Zee, a 16.1 hand chestnut gelding is a big sweetie with a super-fast walk. He can really step out and did not mind going off from the other horses or when the cattle were jittery. This horse definately has some cowsense but... he wasnt too sure about all the wild rabbits and the covey of quail that were scurrying around, he spooked good a few times. He has not been taught to neck rein, which is a huge pain in the ass when I had to chase after a rowdy steer that cut himself from the herd and hightailed outta sight as fast as greased lightening. With some work, Zee is going to make a good ranch horse, something he was bred to be, he is just a late starter at the age of 8.

At 6 am this morning when my ride picked me up to head out to the ranch, my head was still throbbing from my date with Jose. But, thanks to modern chemistry and the people who distribute Tylenol, it was just a memory by the time I reached the ranch. Hubby had to go and retrieve my car from the Canteena's parking lot, which he was grumbling under his breath about. Well, I needed a designated driver and I am picky about who drives my car. We were still one cowboy short to drive the cattle to thier pasture but we managed. Luckily we all work pretty good together and all the steers received thier shots without any problems. A few are going to need de-horned and I promised to be available when that is planned. Not bad for a half days work, atleast I earned a small bit of spending cash (very small!) but I honestly enjoy the work.

When my ride dropped me off on thier way to town for lunch, my horse came running from the back of his paddock excited about the other horses in the trailer. After the guys left, I walked over to give Scooter an ear scratch. He sniffed my shirt sleeve and promptly put his ears back giving me a disapproving glare. Obviously he smelled Zee and the other horses on me and was jealous. Oh well, he'll get over it.

2 Comments:

Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

Brian-reading your comments and your blog is like a breath of fresh air. Your wife is a lucky lady to have snagged a man of your caliber. I am amazed at the quality of your thoughts and your ability to form them into words. My hubby is still bitching today about having to fetch my car in town at the Canteena-he can be an ass some days........

8:17 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

cowgirl-we are always shorthanded! we can use a good 'cowgirl' if your ever lookin'for emplyment.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home