Saturday, March 25, 2006

Stable Fire


Stable fire kills 2 dozen horses
Items compiled from Tribune news servicesPublished March 25, 2006
UPPER FREEHOLD, NEW JERSEY -- A fast-moving fire swept through a wooden stable at one of New Jersey's largest horse farms early Friday and killed all two dozen horses inside, including 12 foals less than a month old.The fire at Perretti Farms apparently was caused when an electric line that keeps water in the wall-mounted troughs from freezing ignited a center stall about 1 a.m., police investigators said.The wooden building, piles of hay and petroleum-based wood varnish quickly fueled the flames, said state police Detective Dave Yusko.
_____________________________________________________-
There seem to be a lot of horses lost in fires in the news lately. It is one of the worse things that can happen to a horse owner, your horse is locked inside his stall, trapped in an inferno, unable to escape.
At the age of 8 or 9, I used to have the same nightmare repeatedly. Sitting here I can remember almost every part of it. My horse is locked at the end of a huge barn inside a stall with a wooden door, the latch is bolted shut. The barn is on fire, I run down the aisle opening up stall doors but my horse's stall gets further away. I usually woke up about his point, but when I do, I remember I started the fire because I put the water tank heater on a bale of hay by accident and someone else turned it on. Stressful dream for a little kid! I have not had that dream since and hope to never do again.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0603250021mar25,1,1593500.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home