Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Restless Sleep, Broken Dreams

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yesterday the small rays of hope I had of this dark cloud that has been hovering over me for a week, was finally lifting, have vanished. It is like the talons of a vulture have dug in deep and latched onto some tender part of my psyche and refuse to let go. I spent the better part of the day outdoors in the cooler weather accomplishing many things. Toddler Terror was behaving but I suspect his allergies are on the verge of flaring up again and that has his maniac behavior held at bay. I hope this is not the case. I'd take the little maniac monster in him anyday over his feeling poorly from his allergies.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Last night my sleep was restless and full of broken dreams. I dreamt of a white/grey horse behind a wooden fence. At times the beautiful horse was a bright stark white and others a light grey with dark features. The horse had a long, thick, tangled mane. He beckoned me and I climbed the wooden fence and reached the horse, but he turned and walked into the woods on a well worn path. I followed unable to catch this horse until the other side of the woods opened into a clearing full of colored rocks. Rocks like the ones found on the Lake Superior shoreline in Michigan. It was here I found myself a little girl again and sitting beside my mother during Sunday mass inside the Cathedral. The Priest was droning on his sermon and I had my mother's hand inside my own two examining the features of her small hand. Her worn thin wedding rings, the oval shaped manicured fingernails, the blue veins that stood slightly up on the back of her hand. I remember her hand felt warm, soft, and dry. I havent dreamed of my mother for over 20 years. The only dreams I remember of her were the ones I had immediately following her death. I would dream her death was not real and she was infact alive and well. I can also remember the horrible sinking feeling I had when I woke from this dream, knowing it was just that a dream.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Odd how the subconscious mind works. I think mine comes thru my dreams but rarely do I ever remember them vividly like the one last night. Usually they are a fleeting memory or deja vous feeling that lasts mere seconds. My mind is usually so busy from the minute after waking I seldom have time to recover any threads of a dream from the night before.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I have a new horse to look at this afternoon. He has problems. Some bad behavior problems, bad manners is what his owner told me on the phone last night. Most likely he wont need much, a horse's people problems are easily solved. I know I can help this horse and save him from himself.

9 Comments:

Blogger ~ good girl ~ said...

Good morning to you, BG xo

I LOVED the picture of the whte horse in your dream. I'm officially borrowing him for a ride in my Enchanted Wonderland ;-)

Memories are something. Dreams too. Sometimes, I wonder if they're one and the same, made manifest in myriad ways. Reading about your mother's passing grips me in some stricken fear.

Tomorrow, when I see Mum, I shall hold her tiny hand in both of mine, just as you had. Those hands, so much of what they've done is for me.

Bummed your phunk is overstaying its welcome, if ever it'd got one, that is.

GG xo

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good AM, BG! Diane here. I have dreams of my Mom too. I usually see her in a secondary role to my Dad in my dreams. It's never a one on one theme. Too bad, I really liked my time alone with her. She's bee gone 8 years now. How I wish she were still here. So many things I neeeded her for. So much to say, to learn. Ah, time wasted on the young and naieve. Beautiful pics, as usual. I'll check back in later! (Tell Bri I said OX!)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Celeste said...

The dead stay away from me in my dreams.

Could use you to help train me and my horse. LOL Fat and lazy we are.

8:49 AM  
Blogger GaffLady said...

dreams can be so revealing sometimes! i am glad the cloud has lifted for you.
as always - beautiful pictures :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

brian-thnx for being in my corner:)

GG-anytime you need a horse, just holler.

Diane-your right about time being wasted on the young and naive, if I had known then what I know now.....

Celeste-fat and lazy = happy a lot of times :)

kt- sometimes I wonder about dreams, when I remember them that is..

kari-thnx! maybe Ill drink myself into a stupor, then Ill sleep for sure.

12:00 PM  
Blogger i used to be me said...

Maybe your Mom sensed your present state of mind and visited you in your dream to comfort you. She wants you to know she's there with you, holding your hand. What a lovely dream to remember.

1:13 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

unacknowledgedgenius-maybe, I thought about it similar to that...

tara-you are too articulate!where ya been? missed you!

brian-huh? Im not following you...but I just came indoors from some hard work, I may be near a sun-stroke...joking about the stroke.

3:37 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

brian-okay! lol I get it, Im a little slow today. Ive been doing paperwork off and on, hideous terrible stuff that Ive put off for a month. Ack! and I have wee one distracting me, also I worked outside, I am tired, and I plan on sleeping a dreamless alcohol induced slumber tonite.....

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A typical dictionary definition of hypnosis states that it is: a state that resembles sleep but that is induced by suggestion. However, anyone who has tried hypnosis (and any self respecting hypnotist) will tell you that this is a very simplistic view of the subject!
A much better description comes from the Free Online Dictionary which states that hypnosis is: an artificially induced state of consciousness, characterised by heightened suggestibility and receptivity to direction. So what does this mean and how can it be used to your advantage?

Well, the subject of hypnosis has been discussed and pondered since the late 1700s. Many explanations and theories have come and gone though science, however, has yet to supply a valid and well-established definition of how it actually happens. It's fairly unlikely that the scientific community will arrive at a definitive explanation for hypnosis in the near future either, as the untapped resources of our 'mostly' uncharted mind still remain something of a mystery.
However, the general characteristics of hypnosis are well documented. It is a trance state characterized by extreme suggestibility, deep relaxation and heightened imaginative functioning. It's not really like sleep at all, because the subject is alert the whole time. It is most often compared to daydreaming, or the feeling you get when you watch a movie or read a captivating book. You are fully conscious, but you tune out most of the outside world. Your focus is concentrated intensely on the mental processes you are experiencing - if movies didn't provide such disassociation with everyday life and put a person in a very receptive state then they would not be as popular (nor would TV advertising be as effective!). Have you ever stated that a film wasn't great because you just couldn't 'get into it'???
This works very simply; while daydream or watching a movie, an imaginary world becomes almost real to you because it fully engages your emotional responses. Such mental pursuits will on most occasions cause real emotional responses such as fear, sadness or happiness (have you ever cried at a sad movie, felt excited by a future event not yet taken place or shivered at the thought of your worst fear?).
It is widely accepted that these states are all forms of self-hypnosis. If you take this view you can easily see that you go into and out of mild hypnotic states on a daily basis - when driving home from work, washing the dishes, or even listening to a boring conversation. Although these situations produce a mental state that is very receptive to suggestion the most powerful time for self-change occurs in the trance state brought on by intentional relaxation and focusing exercises. This deep hypnosis is often compared to the relaxed mental state between wakefulness and sleep.
In this mental state, people feel uninhibited and relaxed and they release all worries and doubts that normally occupy their mind. A similar experience occurs while you are daydreaming or watching the TV. You become so involved in the onscreen antics

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home